Jake Shields needed less than half a round to submit Robbie Lawler in the main event of Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields on Saturday, forcing Lawler to tap to a guillotine choke 2:02 into the opening round of their catchweight headliner.
8,867 fans attended the Showtime-televised event at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.
Following the win, which improved Shields’ record to 23-4-1, the former EliteXC welterweight champion called for a middleweight title bout against Strikeforce champ Cung Le. Le, however, is not expected to defend his title for the indefinite future while pursuing a movie career and Shields may be forced to face another opponent for an interim title before Le returns. Lawler, a former EliteXC middleweight champion, falls to 18-5 following the defeat.
Heavyweight contender Brett Rogers needed just 22-seconds to knockout Andrei Arlovski with a flurry of punches in the Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields co-headliner. Rogers, who improved to 10-0 with the win, will next meet Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem on a future Strikeforce card, while Arlovski’s future is less certain after falling to 15-7 with his second-straight knockout loss.
In other main card action, Nick Diaz overwhelmed Scott Smith with punches over two full rounds before forcing Smith to tap to a rear naked choke in the third and Joe Riggs and Mike Whitehead picked up unanimous decision victories over Phil Baroni and Kevin Randleman respectively.
The Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields results were:
- Jake Shields def. Robbie Lawler via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1. 2:02
- Brett Rogers def. Andrei Arlovski via KO (punches) — Round 1, 0:22
- Nick Diaz def. Scott Smith via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 3, 1:41
- Joe Riggs def. Phil Baroni via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mike Whitehead def. Kevin Randleman via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jesse Finney def. Josh Bumgarner via submission (kimura) — Round 1, 1:55
- Mike Kyle def. Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via TKO (strikes) — Round 2, 4:05
- Booker DeRousse def. James Wade via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 4:06
- Tyron Woodley def. Sal Woods via submission (north-south choke) — Round 1, 4:20
- Lucas Lopes def. Scott Ventimiglia via DQ (illegal knee) — Round 1, 3:26
- Pat Benson def. Dave Cochran via submission (triangle choke) — Round 1, 2:18
[Pictured: Jake Shields]