Following a dominant first round, Joe Soto forced Yahir Reyes to submit to a rear naked choke late in the second frame of their headlining bout at Bellator X at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California on Friday to become the promotion’s first featherweight champion.
In addition to the belt, Soto takes home a $100,000 prize for winning Bellator’s 145-pound tournament following previous victories over Ben Greer and tournament favorite Wilson Reis.
After dropping Reyes to the canvas in the opening seconds of the fight and unleashing ground and pound for the majority of the bout, Soto applied the fight-ending choke as time ticked down in round two, forcing Reyes to tap at the 4:11 mark of the round. Soto ups his undefeated record to 7-0 with the victory, while Reyes falls to 14-6 following the loss.
In the Bellator X co-headliner, featherweight Wilson Reis returned to the win column with a split decision victory over Richard Vargas with scores of 29-28, 29-28, and 28-29.
The official Bellator X Results were:
- Joe Soto def. Yahir Reyes via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 2 4:11
- Wilson Reis def. Roberto Vargas via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Bryan Baker def. Matt Horwich via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Diego Garijo def. Saad Awad via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 4:45
- Israel Giron def. Phillip Brown via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 2:42
- Travis Browne def. Mychal Clark via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jesse Juarez def. Mikey Gomez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nick Moghaddam def. Lamar Jiles via disqualification (illegal knee) — Round 2, 4:14
[Pictured: Joe Soto]