A new DREAM middleweight champion failed to be crowned on Tuesday at DREAM 9, as Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza fought to a no contest in their headliner for the vacant title at the Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan.
Early in the bout, Miller connected with a kick to the top of Souza’s head while his opponent was on the ground, opening up a cut that would ultimately force the bout to come to a premature conclusion. The kick was deemed unintentional, but when the bout was eventually halted the fight was declared a no contest.
In other DREAM 9 action upsets were plentiful, as Joe Warren topped Norifumi “Kid Yamamoto by split decision in the second round of the featherweight grand prix, Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante suffered a unanimous decision loss to Tatsuya Kawajiri in a lightweight title eliminator, and Bob Sapp was submitted by Ikuhisa Minowa just over one-minute into their Super Hulk tournament matchup.
The official results for DREAM 9 were:
- Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza — No Contest#
DREAM Middleweight Championship (vacant)
- Joe Warren def. Norifumi “Kid Yamamoto via split decision^
- Bibiano Fernandes def. Masakazu Iminari via unanimous decision^
- Hiroyuki Takaya def. Yoshiro Maeda via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 9:40^
- Hideo Tokoro def. Abel Cullum via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 2, 1:37^
- Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante via unanimous decision+
- Gegard Mousasi def. Mark Hunt via submission (arm bar) — Round 1, 1:19*
- Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou def. Jan Nortje via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 2:29*
- Hong Man Choi def. Jose Canseco via submission (strikes) — Round 1, 1:17*
- Ikuhisa Minowa def. Bob Sapp via submission (heel hook) — Round 1, 1:14*
* Super Hulk Tournament First Round
+ Lightweight Title Eliminator
^ Featherweight Grand Prix Second Round
# Cut stoppage from unintentional illegal kick by Miller to downed Souza