It’s unfortunate, but Chael Sonnen knew and predicted it would happen on several occasions. Wanderlei Silva – Chael Sonnen fight is off for UFC 175. The fight that was suppose to happen at UFC 173, but pushed back to TUF 13 Finale and then to UFC 175 in July.
The two coached on the Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 and even had a fist fight on the show which you can watch on UFC Fight Pass.
Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) had to pull out of the fight with Sonnen (28-14-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) and fellow Middleweight fighter Vitor Belfort (24-10 MMA, 13-6 UFC) will step in for Silva to fight Sonnen at UFC 175.
Brazil’s Combate was the first to report the news on Wednesday and a official announcement is expected to be sent out any minute now by UFC officials.
UFC 175 takes place July 5 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Prelims will air on Fight Pass and Fox Sports 1, while the main card will air on PPV.
The headling fight is Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida and in the co-main event will be Ronda Rousey vs. Alexis Davis. Belfort – Sonnen will still be the third main event.
This is how the rest of the card looks like:
- Chris Weidman (c) vs. Lyoto Machida – for middleweight title
- Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Alexis Davis – for women’s bantamweight title
- Vitor Belfort vs. Chael Sonnen
- Alex Caceres vs. Urijah Faber
- Matt Mitrione vs. Stefan Struve
- Uriah Hall vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
- Chris Camozzi vs. Bruno Santos
- Guilherme Vasconcelos vs. Luke Zachrich
- Ildemar Alcantara vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Rob Font vs. TBA