I’m afraid we have some bad news for Bellator fans. It appears that the headline fight at next Saturdays Bellator 120 between Reigning lightweight titleholder Eddie Alvarez (25-3 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) and Michael Chandler (12-1 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) may be called off.
Sherdog first reported that Alvarez suffered a concussion during training.
Bellator 9 lightweight tournament winner Will Brooks (13-1 MMA, 5-1 BMMA) will step in as a replacement to fight Chandler.
Bellator 120 will take place next Saturday, May 17, at the Landers Center in Southaven, Miss. The prelim fights air on Spike.com and Spike TV. Then the main card airs on PPV.
Bellator originally planned its first PPV event at Bellator 106, back in November, but Tito Ortiz had to pull out of a scheduled headliner with Quinton Jackson.
We will keep you updated on the latest on this developing story.
Update: The event will stay on PPV.
As of now, this is how the card stands:
- Will Brooks vs. Michael Chandler
- Quinton Jackson vs. Muhammed Lawal
- Light heavyweight tournament final
- Tito Ortiz vs. Alexander Shlemenko
- Nate Jolly vs. Opponent TBA
- Michael Page vs. Ricky Rainey
PRELIMINARY CARD Spike TV, 8 p.m. ET
- Blagoi Ivanov vs. Alexander Volkov
- heavyweight tournament final
- Cheick Kongo vs. Eric Smith
- Fabricio Guerreiro vs. Shahbulat Shamhalaev
- Mike Richman vs. Goiti Yamauchi
PRELIMINARY CARD Spike.com, 6 p.m. ET
- Austin Lyons vs. Zach Underwood
- Justin Frazier vs. Mike Wessel
- Ben Brewer vs. Andy Uhrich
- Anthony Lemon vs. Codie Shuffield
- Brian Hall vs. Cortez Phelia