Undefeated welterweight fighter David Michaud (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has agreed to step in for Danny Mitchell (14-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) to face Jingliang Li (8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 173 according to MMA Junkie who first reported it first.
David Michaud appeared on the Ultimate Fighter season 16, but was not signed to a multiple year UFC contract. He has three wins coming by three knock out, three submission and one decision. In his last three fights he beat Mark Scudder via unanimous decision back in June of 2013. He then went on to beat Ian Stonehouse via rear naked choke in November and then a win over Carey Vanier via Guillotine Choke in the first round in Jan of this year.
Jingliang Li has one knockout win, five submission wins and two decision wins in his career. He has never been finished in his career. This will also be his UFC debut. In his last three fights he lost to Myung Ho Bae via unanimous decision back in february of 2012. However he came back and beat Dan Pauling via unanimous decision back in June of 2012. His last fight came over Luke Jumeau via Guillotine Choke in the third round back in April of 2013.
This fight is expected to be on the UFC Fight Pass-streamed portion of the May 24 card at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Here is how the rest of the card looks like:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Renan Barao vs. T.J. Dillashaw for UFC bantamweight title
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dan Henderson
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Robbie Lawler
- Takeya Mizugaki vs. Francisco Rivera
- James Krause vs. Jamie Varner
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Michael Chiesa vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno
- Chico Camus vs. Chris Holdsworth
- Mitch Clarke vs. Al Iaquinta
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Anthony Njokuani vs. Vinc Pichel
- Doo Ho Choi vs. Sam Sicilia
- Jingliang Li vs. David Michaud